Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Update on the Kidney Transplant

Today, mom and I had our pre-op appointment with the transplant team. We learned what to expect on surgery day. The surgeon's PA came in and explained that I will be wheeled in first to the operating room. They will make a 3-4 inch incision above and slightly below my navel and I will also have 3 small "dot" incisions where they will go in laproscopically to remove the kidney. They will clamp off the arteries running to my kidney's and eventually, those will just scar over. My surgery will last about 3 hours. At about the 2 hour mark, they will wheel mom in the same operating room and get her ready so that when my kidney comes out, they are prepared to give it to mom. They will make a "U" shaped incision right above her right leg and attach her arteries to the kidney right there in front. They do not remove the recipients failing kidneys. Total surgery time is 4-5 hours all together. Recovery time in the hospital is 4-5 days for the donor and 6-7 days for the recipient.

We will find out Monday exactly what time we are to arrive at the hospital on Tuesday. It could be as early as 5:30 am (yikes!). Although this is planned and we are on the schedule, things could change. Mom mentioned a slight sore throat and they will not operate if either of us is sick. So, hopefully her strep test is negative and hopefully she does not get sick.

That is that in a nutshell and we are getting really excited. Neither of us is that nervous (yet). We are just excited that mom is going to feel so much better. While waiting for lab-work, mom was telling me all the places she wanted to go--one being Las Vegas to see Bette Middler. We do have a lot to look forward to and hope things continue to work out. Thanks to everyone for your support--cards, phone calls, emails and visits. It means the world to us! (Kathy, you have been amazing for coming over all these nights to help mom with whatever she needs. Thank you, thank you a million times)!

2 comments:

melissa said...

Wow. Steph I am just so excited for you guys and so thrilled that this is on it's way. Today I began calling all the girls to keep everyone informed.

We are all thinking of you and your mom, and are all obviously willing to do anything for you!

I hope your mom's sore throat is nothing too. Thank you for the update again. We'll finalize our plans for next week soon. Kaden and I are both excited to see Bentley!

Love, Melis

Emily Call said...

This is such a cool experience for you both! After it is all over, let me know when you are up for visitors! I would love to bring some food and say hi!