Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 5

Hi everyone, Steph reporting here! Well, I came home yesterday (Sunday) at around 4:00 pm. That morning I woke up and one of the greatest things happened. Let me just tell you, I have never in my life been more excited to "pass gas". I am so not kidding. I called to Ryan and my words exactly were "Ry, I just farted and it was the most beautiful sound". My apologies go out to those who are offended--but it's true! I even was excited to tell all my nurses (although sadly, I could never manage to perform on the spot). By the way, Jaron I wanted to call you but I knew you would make me laugh and laughing is pure painful now.

I'll be honest. The past few days have been excruciatingly painful. I never imagined it to be like this. I still have a bunch of air in my middle that has been very very slowly escaping, but the pain is still there tonight. Each day it gets a tiny bit better. I know I need to be patient. My incisions are small and if I were to show them to anyone, they probably wouldn't believe I was in so much pain. They would think I was a pansy! It's crazy to see the incision because you wonder how the heck they got the kidney out of there! That is how small they are. So the incisions aren't the problem--the air is. (Well, and the ab muscles they had to cut through).

If it weren't for Ryan staying by my side 24/7 in the hospital to lift me out of bed every 15 minutes, take me on walks, tell me everythings gonna be okay when I cried, rub my back etc, it would have been awful. He had to sleep on the bench they have there and those are not comfortable. So, I am just bragging about my awesome husband. He is the best and has been literally by my side since Thursday. I now get separation anxiety when he's not around me. He has been through a lot and has had to deal with a lot of emotions, pressure, stress--and has not complained once.

As for my mommy, I am getting all choked up now writing this. I miss her dearly and so wish I could be there at the hospital with her. I am glad to report that she has done so great the last few days--her blood pressure is under control, the bleeding has stopped and the kidney is doing awesome. She has been moved out of the shock/trauma ICU to the transplant unit (where we both were at first). When I went to say goodbye to her yesterday in ICU, she looked so good. She was sitting up in a chair, making jokes and was just like the Paula we all know. We brought in the laptop so she could read the comments everyone had written. She was so touched by the many people who had commented on the blog. She wanted me to tell everyone that the support we have is so incredible and that she is so appreciative. She thanks everyone for their thoughts and prayers and says it means the world to her to have so many rooting for us. She teared up.

I just want to also echo what my mom said. At this point I can't give names because we have had tremendous support from so many. You all have been absolutely wonderful and there is truly no way to express my gratitude for being blessed with such loving friends and family. To those who were with my mom in ICU around the clock, and those who came to visit and brought gifts and flowers to us, for all your thoughts and prayers, to those who sat with me as I cried, to those bringing in meals, and to those who took care of my hubby through all of this. To people who have written their comments on the blog and everyone who has willingly and lovingly taken my little girl in their care. All moms out there know it is hard to leave your child and never once did I worry about her. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My mom is the most wonderful lady whose strengh continues to amaze me. She has been through so much with this process, especially on Thursday night and it is hard for me (as it must be for everyone) to even comprehend what it must be like for her. One thing I do know for sure is that there is a reason why my mom is still here. I couldn't be more grateful to my Heavenly Father--I know we (and mom especially) were absolutely not alone through any of this...we certainly had his help and have been very much watched over and blessed. This is by far the most humbling experience I have ever been though, one that will never be forgotten.

Steph

11 comments:

janet said...

so glad to hear that you are home and that you PASSED GAS! WAHOO! I have heard that giving your kidney is one of the hardest surgeries for this very reason and NO ONE in their right mind would call you a pansy! I love what you wrote about your husband and I am so glad you have him!!! He is a great guy. I wish I was closer to help, but know that I have been thinking about you and praying for you and your sweet mother. Good luck recovering and hope those farts keep coming!!! Love ya!

karlin said...

Steph... Great to hear from you. Glad you are home safe and I loved reading about all the support and help you've had. What would you do without your husband?? By the way, you are not a pansy! You just experienced probably the most painful surgery. You are a trooper! Keep it up! Glad that your Mom is doing well too! It is such a miracle!

karlin said...

Just as a posted my comment... Janet posted hers. How funny, that we pretty much said the exact same thing! We must be friends!

melissa said...

Steph, I am so glad you are home. I wish I could have been there at the hospital, but I know you had plenty to deal with there & I wanted to make sure you had your space. I have to thank Ryan for all the updates and for answering my calls at the hospital. Yippe for the gas! Keep it comin.' I am so happy to hear you are doing better and that your mom is too. Good to know that she will be out of the ICU. I am looking forward to seeing you tonight after I get Bentley. Maybe you can 'rip one' for us (I know Kaden would get a good giggle)!

Talk to you soon,

Love Melis

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you steph! Being around you a lot in the office, I do know how great you always feel after you have passed a little gas! Kidding! But keep em' coming. If you could just make sure to get rid of it all in the next 5 weeks before returning, we would all be forever in your debt. We miss you here, but are so greatful for your example to all of us. You are an inspiration to many. Ryan, you're a great guy, Thanks for taking care of little Steph for us (sorry for the air over there- that too shall "pass"). Keep up the good work you too. We are all blessed to know you cats.
And Paula, keep getting better and get stronger every day.
Jaron

val said...

Steph I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you and your mom. You two are so brave and strong! I'm sure you have felt a higher power surround you at this stressful time. I'm so glad you have such an amazing husband to help you through-what a blessing. Know you are still in our prayers!

Francine said...

It was so great to have a post from you, although Ryan has been doing such an incredible job with the updates- he is such a good man. I'm glad you are able to be home now and hope your mom is able to join you soon. Hope you continue to pass that gas and feel better and better everyday! Sometimes there really is nothing better than being able to pass gas! Thank you for sharing this experience with all of us. Heavenly Father IS so aware of us as we go through our trials, big and small. I have a firm testimony of that. Love you, Steph!

The Parry Family said...

I got teared up just reading this. I am so glad to hear that you and your mom are doing so good. I love you guys so much. You are so wonderful for doing this for your mom. I pray that your future life continues to be as good if not better as it is now. You all are so great and again I am so delighted the results are so great. Love you Steph
Jamie

Megan said...

Of course I loved the "fart" word. You know how that kind of stuff is awesome to me. J/K. I'm actually really, really glad that you are feeling better. Thank heavens. You are lucky to have Ryan (I think he's pretty lucky, too)we really do have awesome "Johnston boys". Please tell your mom that we love her and you have both been in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are doing the blog so we can keep up on you and your mom. Wow Paula, you never do things the easy way! I am so proud of you Stephanie, what a great service to do for someone you love. Your blog reflects the love you and your family have for each other. You are a great example to all of us. Please tell your Mom hi for me and let me know if there is anything I can do for either of you.
We are keeping you in our prayers!
I am so proud of myself I learned how to post a comment! Progression!
Have a great day!

Kay Kenyon

Kawa Rangers said...

Hope all is well. If you need tips on farting give me a call. I'm a pro! Kason prays for you guys everynight and wishes you well. let us know if you need anything even a babysitter. I will volunteer Amy for that (she wants to too.) We love you guys.

Cam, Amy, Kason, and Kel.