Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Evening After Surgery

Steph has been pretty sleepy from the morphine and her respiratory rate began to slow from the morphine so they are going to take her off of it, but they haven't decided what other pain-killer they can put her on. Other than the pain, Steph is doing really well. Her abdomen, where they made the incision, is really sore. Paula has been in her room for a couple of hours, but she has also been really sleepy. The PA (Physicians Assistant) that was in the surgery told us that her kidney is taking really well so far, so well that they took her dialysis catheter out while they had her in surgery. She just went down to get an ultrasound, which is protocol for kidney recipients, to check to see if there is any fluid build up around the kidney and make sure everything appears to be working right. Paula urinated 450mL the first our in her room, which the nurse said is excellent...way to pee Paula. They will continue to watch Paula very closely throughout the night just to make sure things are going well. Steph will get to sleep most of the night, but she will be put to work tomorrow. She will have to start sitting up in a chair in the morning and slowly progress to short walks around the unit .

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go gals! Thanks for all the updates Ryan, you are a great sub for Steph, for the time being. Glad to hear that all went well. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you at this time.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear things are going well. Our prayers are still with you all.

Karah and Josh Crosby

val said...

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

melissa said...

We had a fun night with Bentley and look forward to tomorrow. She is a sweety and is such a good girl. Had no problems at all. (Besides the fact that Kaden didn't want to leave her and absolutely had to ride in her booster seat on the way home instead of his).

Good to hear the girls are doing well. Great work, Steph and Paula. Ryan, get some sleep.
Talk to you tomorrow.

karlin said...

Wow... you did it! I hope everything continues to go well as planned. Love that you are updating the blog. Again, I'll keep you in my prayers and thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so happy this went well. Thank you so much for keeping up this blog and for being so wonderful. Best wishes, Rebecca Batt

Shannon said...

Steph I'm so glad to hear things are going well! I just think what you are doing is so amazing! I'll be thinking of you all weekend and checking in here to see how you're doing! :) Thanks for keeping us posted, Ryan!

Anonymous said...

Great news! Paula always was an overachiever. Keep up the good work Paula and Stephanie.

Jolynn

Emily Call said...

I am glad to hear that things are going well!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are doing so well. What a relief! And Steph look on the bright side... think how skinny you will be on that ONE side. FYI- to all those reading this that think I am a big jerk---- it is a total inside joke. Like I would really say that... then again. :) Get back here soon we miss you.
Jaron Jasper Webster

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to wish you the best with the transplant and hope you have speedy recoveries!

Anonymous said...

Steph and Ryan, just passing on a note of love and support that gets sent to you from "Baby John's" mother at Narda's place. When she heard Melissa and I talking about it, she expressed what a "beautiful thing" this was that was transpiring. She asked me to pass that word on to you guys and to wish you all the best. Sorry, I don't even know her name.

Anonymous said...

This is Laurie and Matthew we're so glad to have been able to read these blogs to keep us updated. We love you guys and are so glad to hear things are going well, slowly but surly you are both doing better. :) and Ryan you are such a strong husband and son! they are lucky to have you! we love you! we'll come visit tonight i think, we'll call to make sure it's not a bad time. :)