Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Dad's Day!

Happy Father's Day! Well, I feel so lucky to be married to Ryan. He is so good to me and is a great dad to Miss B. He sets a great example for me and makes me strive to be a better person. So I thought I would list out things he teaches me and may not even know...

  • Ry will always make play time with Bentley a priority and stops whatever he is doing to just PLAY. I appreciate this because there are many times I feel that I need to get a load of laundry in, vacuum, pick-up, or do this or that before I play--when I do that, I end up missing out.



  • Rarely does he ever raise his voice at anyone. He is so patient and I just don't get it sometimes. When I am on the verge of just bubbling over, I think to myself, "How would Ryan react?" (WWRD...just kidding dumb joke). I can sometimes simmer down, but not usually.

  • He is such a people-person and does really well with public speaking. He does presentations for the execs at work, teaches in church, and is all around an easy one for people to talk with. It never seems awkward for him, like it occasionally does for me. I just don't have words sometimes and there is that awkwardness. Uh...alright...hmmm, next!

  • He is a very hard worker and does everything to do the best job he can and get it done. (Actually, it's funny I say that. My mom and I have teased him recently because lately you can tell he's started a project, has gotten 90% done, it looks perfect and then...for some reason it's unfinished and he's moved on to the next thing.) School is another story though. He had some of the best study habits I've ever seen. No procrastinating for Ry!

  • Ry is THE dish-washer out of both of us. I would rather do anything else but that and he just does it! Plus he chips in with laundry too. After drying/shrinking several shirts of mine in the past, he now brings items to me to ask if they can be dried or not. What a guy!

  • Ryan will sit down next to me on the couch as I watch my shows (Oprah, Bachelor, AI), just to be by me. Whereas, as soon as he flips to ESPN, I'm outta there....!

  • I need to be better!

  • Ryan has a very laid-back personality. He is good for practically whatever I want. He gets what he wants 99% of the time------I get what I want 100% of the time!

  • I am sounding like a horrible person!

  • So, apparently I have a lot to learn. That is why Ryan is so good for me. We laugh, talk about anything and everything serious issues and just casually. I love him dearly and hope he has a wonderful Father's Day and knows how much I appreciate all he does! Miss loves him too. (and always prefers her daddy over mommy...sniff sniff)!

I also want to say how much I love appreciate my own Dad. He is seriously the best! I am grateful to my dad because:

  • He is a wonderful PAPA to Bentley. She has absolutely adored him since day one. The girl will eat practically any veggie as long as it is from Papa's garden. One time, she offered her friend Carly a grape tomato and was aghast when Carly refused it. Bentley looked at her with sheer confusion and said, "But it's from Papa's garden!"


  • My dad spoils me so bad. He will pack my lunch, Ry's and Bentley's after we have eaten dinner. He packs them in new Styrofoam containers complete with garnishments, a little cup/lid for the salad dressing and complete it with pre-packaged fork, knife, napkin S&P. Wow! My co-workers are amazed every time I bring lunch from DAD.

  • He helps out with Bentley all the time.

  • He takes the best care of Grandpa. To go to the care center twice a day everyday takes a lot of time and energy and dad does it. I think he is so giving!

  • He has accomplished so much in his life and I am proud of him.

  • Dad is extremely patient. I think he has raised his voice at me once in my whole life. Well, I guess I was a good kid then! No, he is just patient. There were probably many times he wanted to scream at me.

  • He has taught me that the simple things in life are the ones remembered most. He loves taking Bentley outside to show her the garden and flowers, she loves picking the fruit and eating it right then, he takes her to the pond to feed the ducks and enjoy the weather, and he arranges for family movie nights in his back-yard. He sometimes uses things around the house for Bentley to play with and she'll end up having more fun with those rather than the toys (aka grandpa's walker). it's a nice reminder that you don't have to spend money in order to create memories and have a good time.

We love you guys so much! Happy Father's Day! I will get some new pics up of our day.

7 comments:

val said...

LOVED this post Steph. Thanks for sharing. Thank goodness for great fathers! Love ya.

Anonymous said...

To Steph, Ry, the rest of my family, and Everyone else that I associate with:

I feel as though I am the luckiest person and feel very special with the close and unique association I have with everyone. I also appreciate how everyone feels about me. I really admire everyone for who they are, especially Steph, Ryan,Bentley, Bob, Nancy, .....Oh I guess I could go on and on forever....which would include almost everyone who I associate with..

With love to Steph and Ry for putting their thoughts on the Blog for all to see. Love Dad

melissa said...

Steph, fun Father's Day post! I liked your comment on mine too. Don't you sometimes wish we could be more like dads? I can't even THINK about playing until my "chores" are done. I hear ya there! It is sooo hard.

Happy Father's Day Ryan! Hope you had a good one...you have a wonderful wife who IS too hard on herself. I've just come to terms with the fact that Dads are all fun and Moms are all business! Someones got to fold laundry so the kids and men can have something to play in!

Melis

Kawa Rangers said...

I agree. Your dad is awesome. They need to have a "Uncle's Day".

Emily Call said...

cute pictures!!! Happy Father's Day.

The Miles Files said...

What a nice post Steph. It is fun watching Ryan in action, you can just see that he is a great dad. AND, I can also see that you are a great Mom. Bentley is blessed! (and adorable.) How lucky are we to be your neighbors? I have never had neighbors that were good friends too. It is so nice! :)

Megan said...

I agree with everything you said about Ryan. We are both super lucky to be married to Johnston boys.