Monday, May 19, 2008

The Swim Lessons Have Begun!

So as requested by Melis, I thought I'd post the latest happenings with Miss B. Swim lessons are in session! Some may be wondering why I am not teaching her. (I worked at Steiner Aquatic Center during my college years as a pool manager, lifeguard and was WSI certified to teach swimming lessons). Well, last year I started working with Bentley here and there--nothing serious she was only 2. We went swimming a few times and got her adjusted to the water. Well, I decided this year we need to push her a bit more and I decided it would be best if she took lessons from someone else--rather than mom--at least until she is really comfortable submerging. She is doing private lessons with Walker's Swim Kids and we've been taking her before heading to work and the pool is close so it works well for our schedule right now. After 5 lessons, she is fully submerging, can "swim-ish" to the steps and is floating on her back all by herself. She does really well and only cried briefly at the start. Way to go, Miss B! We have 2 more lessons in the session and then I plan to work with her once a week after these are over. We'll see how that goes...



First lesson--just a little traumatic but not too bad.

Isn't this the saddest look? Like, "Why aren't you saving me, mommy?"

And...she's under!


Loving those goggles and lookin' goood! We just have to laugh, she looks like a kamikaze pilot!

Here she is at her fifth lesson...backfloat unsupported, yeah!!

8 comments:

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Way to go Bentley! She look so cute just floating there by herself. It's just crazy how fast they grow! I didn't know all that stuff about you being such a great swimmer. Maybe I should get some pointers from you for my triathlon swims...

Megan said...

Swimming lessons are crazy, huh? We just started lessons at our house on Monday. She looks like she's doing great!

Kawa Rangers said...

I was actually just thinking about enrolling Kason in swimming lessons. Maybe I should...

melissa said...

Thanks for the talk today on swim lessons and everything else. I always feel a bit better after our conversations. I call it "Therapy with Steph."

We'll see how ours go in a couple of weeks. If all else fails, B. is pretty good at that backfloat, maybe she'll have to teach Kaden!

josh and karah said...

YAY Bently!

karlin said...

So cute. I need to put Avaree in swim lessons this year too.

janet said...

She is so cute! Love the pink goggles. Summer is so much better when you're kids are swimming and you can just sit back and relax.. and not worry if they're drowning!

Emily Call said...

That is awesome! I need to get Caitlin into swimming lessons.