Friday, August 8, 2008

Obon Festival




Earlier in July we participated in the annual Obon Festival. This is a very special tradition my family has been involved in ever since my mom was little. In 28 (yikes!) years I've never missed it. It is something I look forward to each year and with it brings many memories. I am so grateful to pass along this wonderful tradition to Bentley and teach her a bit about our family's heritage.
This year I was especially glad that some of the girls and their kids could join us in the festivities. I have to give a shout-out to Julie for (lack of better terms) resurrecting those dance moves! Julie and I did this for several years as youngsters and this summer, she came back for her re-appearance for quite the roaring crowd. Her style, grace, and dexterity certainly demonstrated to the audience she is a born-obon dancer of high caliber. Go Julie! We have been trying to reach her agent to see if she will come next year for another highly anticipated appearance and just can't seem to get them. We'll keep trying!

5 comments:

Tamarynn Leigh said...

I think that's such a neat tradition. I know we had fun the year we went with you guys and Nate and Jess. Bentley looks so cute all dressed up. I bet she did a great job dancing!

Anonymous said...

My agent has been very busy since the festival. Everyone cannot get enough of my fisherman dance moves.

melissa said...

Steph, thanks for having us! We had a lot of fun, and Kaden is STILL making me dance Obon at home with my "pretend friends" while he plays the drums.

Francine said...

Yea for Obon! You all look so cute dressed up, especially Bentley and the others kids.

Please make sure you invite me to your blog once you go private, francinewright@iglide.net.

It was so so so good to see you at the reunion! There just wasn't enough time to visit. Now that we are both back on our feet, we'll get together.

love you, Steph!

janet said...

I thought for SURE I had commented on this, but I guess I didn't! Love all the pictures. I had so much fun when we did that (10 years ago!!) It is such a wonderful tradition and I am sure it's amazing to see little Bentley making it a part of her life! So sweet!

And HOLY ERICA! She is so old.. and Beautiful!