Hey everyone,
I have been out of touch with my blog for several days now. We've had two major things come up that have kept us extremely busy over the last several days.
Let me start out by saying Mom is fine. Things are okay. Having said that, we were in the ER last Thursday after she had been home sick with what we thought was some sort of bug. When she started gettting a high fever and flu-like symptoms, we called the doctor. After just telling him she had a temperature over 100 degrees, Ryan hung up the phone and said that we needed to take her in. What the concern was in all of us was possible kidney rejection. High fever and flu-like symptoms are a sign for that. After a night in the ER running tests, we learned that she had a UTI (urinary tract infection). Crappy, but better news than rejection. She was hospitalized until late Saturday night but began feeling much better once they started her on fluids and antibiotics introveniously. She is doing much better now, however they are watching her levels because the infection made them go a bit crazy. As far as we know, her kidney is just fine.
While in the hospital, several of the nurses who were there the night she coded blue (night after transplant surgery) came in to say hi. One nurse began to explain what that night was like. It certainly took my breath away to hear those facts straight from this nurse. I asked all sorts of questions and choked-up as I pictured it. It still amazes me that at least one representaive from each and every area of the hospital came running to her room--ER, X-RAY, Lifeflight, Shock Trauma, you name it and they were there. That would have been about 25 people crammed in her room and that same amount standing outside. Remember that I was out cold the night after surgery and knew not what was happening. As I heard these things, I felt so bad for Ryan and what he must have been going through. WOW! When Ry and I talked about it again, he told me the one thing running through his mind that night was, how would I tell Steph her mom didn't make it?
Not that for once I forgot or wasn't thankful of this incredible miracle but since the surgery, life has seemed to take over for me and the day-to-day hustle has consumed me. This was a blessing and gentle reminder to me just how precious life is and that when it comes down to it, all that really matters are the relationships. My mom is here for a reason and I never want to take that for granted. I have huge admiration to Ry for his strengh, courage and support he is to us all and I appreciate him more than he will ever know.
Now, how do I make a smooth transition from that subject to my next? Well, I will just go ahead and blurt it out. I have accepted a new job offer as Concept Artist (still with SU!). This past week has been full of emotion as I have gone back & forth between a job that makes me happy, where I can be myself, where I have the best of friends, to the job that deep down has always been a dream opportunity for me. I know I will still be able to see my current co-workers often--maybe not 40 hrs per week but often. The friendships will always be there. I am excited to get to know my new team and learn from their creative brilliance. I explained what my job is currently already and I will briefly explain my new one. I still get to create samples for our company, however they will be seen in our catalog as well as our magazine that goes to demos and various PR projects. I am really excited for the opportunity and will keep you posted. First day is September 15. Just wait until you see my new desk!
Alright, gotta run to swim lessons--not me....Bentley!!
14 comments:
Wow... so glad to hear your mom is okay! What a crazy few days you have had!
And CONGRATULATIONS on the new job!! You are so creative and I am sure they need to get your ideas out to as many people as possible! I hope the transition is a good one!
ps. I need an invite when you go private. I believe you have my email address...
It's comforting to know your mom is ok. I started reading your post and all I could see was code blue and it scared me.
That is so awesome that you got promoted. You are an awesome artist and you are going to be great at this position. Have fun and enjoy yourself! Love ya Steph and tell your family hello!
Congrats on the new job! Justin told me the news yesterday. I am so excited for you and I can't wait to see the things you do.
yeah, Em....I get to sit in the same place you did! I told Justin, "I feel so special!" Crazy that you were in Concept and 2-ish years later I am!
Steph- So sorry to hear about your mom, I am glad she is okay. Next... WOW congrats on your new position. I am thrilled for you!! I always thought that would be my true job but now I realize I am not creative or patient enough. I am very excited to see what you create. Are they hiring for your old position then? I would love to go back to SU on a part time basis, perhaps one day. Do you ever see/hear from Dorthey anymore?
Steph, I had tears in my eyes just reading this and remembering back to how scary things were for your mom. And the thought of Ryan's after surgery, about how he would ever break that kind of news to you. What a strong family you have. I LOVE you!
Congrats on the new job! I am excited to hear that you've accepted the new position. What fun and excting changes coming your way. Remember us little people when you are famous!
Hey Shar,
Yes, they are hiring for my job. Know of anyone or even you for that matter? Yes, I do talk to Dot once in a while. We saw each other at the reunion and are planning to hang out in September. I will tell you you asked about her. She would be thrilled!!!
Hi Steph- I would love to apply if weren't a full time position. I'm not ready to go back full time. I would love part time and traveling though. Ya let her know I asked about her. I would love to get in contact with her again. Are you nervous at all for your new position? I know you will do a great job!
Wow! First, I'm so glad that your mom is okay. I don't know if I included this in my comment about Obon, but it was so good to see her healthy and able to continue that tradition with you and Bentley. Second, congratulations on you new job position. I can't wait to see your creations published in the catalog!
Oh Steph, pretty much every post makes me cry on your blog. I'm so glad things are well with your mom. What a scare. You and Ry are such a great team. (I knew he was one of a kind at Karlin's, up late while you made silly reunion posters, with a smile on his face). He's a total keeper!
Congrats on the new job. You will be PERFECT for that position.
Good luck and please know I'm around during the day and I'm close if you ever need help with Bentley or anything!
I got a few little tears reading about your mom's scare. I am so so glad her kidney is alright and she too will be alright. I love the way you talk about your husband. So glad he has been there for you for so much. I completely understand how hard it must have been for him.
Thanks for the invite to your blog.
Glad to hear you mom is okay! Congrats on the new job! Sounds like you will love it!
So glad you get to still see your OLD friends at work Steph. But BTW, some of us are not THAT old. :)
Post a Comment