Monday, January 26, 2009

Good Bye Grandpa Kawa (October 8, 1921 - December 23, 2008)

I have been meaning to do this post for some time now but have not had the chance until now. My dear Grandpa Kawa went home for the holidays--two days before Christmas--and is now with my Grandma. I loved my Gramps. He was so special to me. I (along with all my cousins) grew up so close to him and my Grandma. They were such wonderful people. They made all of us kids feel that we were important and special to them. They attended ALL of our activities no matter what--dance, piano, baseball games, tournaments, choir performances you name it and they were there. The memories I have of my Grandpa are vivid and precious. We would all go to Ogden on Sundays to hang out for hours, eat and just be together. I loved sleeping over at their house especially when all the other cousins were there. My Grandpa made me laugh will all his silly jokes and we would smile when we looked over and he was laughing to himself (probably thinking of a joke he told earlier). He was always genuinely interested in what was going on in all of our lives. I could go on for hours about all the fun things I remember he use to do. One special thing we shared was our birthday. We spent every birthday together since I can remember. I'm sure going to miss him by my side to blow out those birthday candles.

When we had Bentley, he loved her from the start. As she got a bit older, and him too, he would sit her on his walker (it had a little bench on it) and the two of them would go for walks up the street. His face lit up whenever she walked in the room. Bentley loved her Ji Chan too--always running up to him for hugs and an "I love you Ji Chan!".

The morning we received the call was so difficult, even though we were expecting it. I am grateful to all of my cousins that we could be there together to cry and support each other. I knew we were always close but this definitely made it clear as we sat around and reminisced about times with Grandpa. He and my Grandma will forever be a sweet memory and are two people I can learn a great deal from with respect to family, togetherness and where priorities need to be.

I love you Grandpa! We'll be seeing you!






7 comments:

janet said...

so sorry to hear that, Steph! And right before Christmas! Hope your family is doing well. love ya!

Dorothy & Tony said...

Seriously wish I had the chance to meet him. I would have loved to pinch his cheeks. How cute is he?? What a wonderful tribute to your Gramps! By the way Its About Time!!!
Love your Face!

Kawa Rangers said...

You have such great pictures of grandpa. I wish we had more! We miss you guys.

Marcie said...

What a special tribute to a special man. Your Grandpa was so darling. I swear in all the years I knew him, he NEVER changed! Always cherish those special memories. They will help get you through the tough days. I love you!

The Miles Files said...

I loved seeing your slide show and learning more about your Grandpa. That is pretty special to share birthdays.

Megan said...

I'm sorry about your gramps. I know how hard that is to lose your grandpa. I loved mine so much. My family always told me that they'd have to lie when he died and tell me that he ran away to the circus. I'm so glad that you were able to have such a good gramps, just like I did.

karlin said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. That was such a sweet post. What a great man and how fun to share your birthday with him. I love all the pics!