One year ago today, we could only hope for a brighter and healthier future for my mom. This past year has been like a dream come true. Mom is healthy, feeling great and enjoying the kind of life we all prayed for her to have. As I reflect on those sleepless nights, the constant worry about the unknown and the many other obstacles we faced to be where we are today, I feel blessed for the awesome miracle we have experienced--the gift of life. Without a doubt in my mind, I know I was meant to be with my mom. I am forever grateful for our special relationship--it has been one I have always felt lucky to have.
Mom has been going out with friends for dinner, bowling and movies and I just smile and am so glad she can go do stuff like that now. This last year seems to have been full of the fun things she couldn't do while being sick. It almost feels like we are trying to catch up for missed time. We all got to my aunt's cabin at Bear Lake, we got to take Bentley to Disneyland for the first time and we are headed to Vegas next month.
I constantly am amazed at what the body is capable of and how one little kidney could completely change a person's health. When mom went to see her doctors a couple months back, they ran the usual tests and said everything looked so great. I too had my 6 month check-up and when the tests came back, my creatinine levels were better with the one kidney! Funny how that works. We are constantly asked, "How are you feeling?" and how each other is doing and it is so great to finally say, "We are doing so well! Mom is healthy and there hasn't been any scary episodes". Wow!
So, today marks a new anniversary we will celebrate each year. A day to reflect on the roads mom has traveled however scary at times and to never take this transplant experience for granted. It's amazing how this time of year can make us remember what one year ago was like. I'd do it all over again for her if she needed it and if I could. (Wait...then again the pain after was pretty excruciating I remember...I guess I'd have to think a bit harder about that one! sorry mom! ha ha!)
Happy Kidney Day!!!
6 comments:
I can't believe it's been a whole year! Congrats to you both.
Congrats for one whole year, happy and healthy. We're so grateful for all the blessings Paula is now enjoying.
Happy Kidney Day to the both of you!
Happy One Year!! You guys are such an inspiration to me! i just love you and your Mama! You are 2 incredible women! What anamazing blessing this last year has been! Not just for you and your mom but all of us that have touched by your experience!
I am so glad you both are doing so well. Yay, Happy Kidney Day!
I'm so happy that you are both doing so well. Definitely a good day to celebrate year after year!
I'm so happy to hear that you are both doing so well. it really is a blessing! and you two really were meant to be together! i miss you guys! but i'm so happy to hear you're doin well!
Post a Comment